Leukemia is a cancer that affects blood cells and normally starts by attacking bone marrow. The production of abnormal white blood cells, known as leukemia cells, typically grows faster than normal white blood cells, leading to serious health issues.
Leukemia – What Leads To The Cause of Leukemia?
Leukemia has four main types:
- Acute lymphocytic leukemia,
- Acute myeloid leukemia,
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia,
- Chronic myelogenous leukemia.
Although there is no definitive cause of cancer, in some cases, some specific risk factors may predispose one to the disease: Examples of such factors include the following:
- Exposure to high doses of radiation and benzene.
- Family history of leukemia.
- A history of chemotherapy treatments.
- Genetic abnormalities such as chromosome 22 abnormalities.
- Genetic disorders such as Down Syndrome.
Leukemia – What Are The Symptoms Of Leukemia?
The symptoms of this ailment typically vary from one patient to another depending on the specific type of leukemia. However, some of the common symptoms for leukemia include the following:
- Persistent fatigue and shortness of breath
- Pale skin
- Red spots on the skin
- Unusual weight loss
- Fever and chills
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Excessive sweating at night
- Frequent infections
- Easy bruising leading to excessive bleeding
Leukemia – Herbal Remedies To Destroy Leukemia
Some studies have found that milk thistle helps to slow down the growth and spread of some types of cancer such as leukemia.
For example, according to the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, milk thistle helps to inhibit the growth of cancerous cells in the bone marrow and is effective in preventing liver damage in leukemia patients undergoing chemotherapy treatments.
Korean Red Ginseng:
- This herbal remedy has properties that are beneficial in treating and managing leukemia.
According to a study published in the Journal of Ethno-pharmacology in 2008, the Korean Red Ginseng can inhibit telomerase activity and help to destroy leukemia cells in humans.
As such, this herbal remedy can slow the progression of cancerous leukemia cells.
- This herb has properties that help to treat a myriad of ailments, including chronic myelogenous leukemia.
- Turmeric strengthens the body’s defense system and slows down the synthesis of abnormal white blood cells which cause leukemia.
A study conducted by the University of Maryland Medical Center also recommends that leukemia patients should take a 300mg dose of Turmeric 3 times each day to treat symptoms of leukemia such as pain and inflammation.
- Olive leaf extracts have anti-cancer properties and help to boost the immune system.
- An olive leaf remedy can help to fight off the frequent infections that leukemia patients suffer from.
- Green tea contains EGCG chemical compounds that are highly effective in fighting cancer cells in patients suffering from chronic lymphocytic leukemia.
- Besides causing a regression of the cancer, green tea also improves patients’ white blood cell counts thus boosting their immune system.
- Beets contains betacyanins chemical compounds, which are powerful cancer-fighting agents.
- Furthermore, beets also contain an amino acid known as betaine, which is rich in anti-cancer properties.
- By drinking fresh beet juice daily, leukemia patients can also enjoy the fruit’s antioxidant properties that can help to fight the free radicals that cause cancer.
Leukemia – Conclusion
Most of the herbal remedies for leukemia discussed herein have great anti-cancer benefits.
However, before trying these remedies, one should consult a medical herbalist to identify the correct dosage for these remedies and establish any side effects that may affect their overall health.